Ravenmount on Tumblr

Monday, August 20, 2012

Comfort of Old Musical Friends

(I wish this bright purple concert shot was one I took- it would mean I had a chance to see Paul Byrom in concert, from close enough to get a good shot. I'll track down the credit info soon.)
The new semester and school year has begun for me any many others in the US and elsewhere, and this week is full of meetings and grand plans for the near future. It's a bit depressing, always, knowing that the likelihood of all these grand plans actually happening is slim, but some of these plans will work, and others I've not yet thought of will no doubt replace the failed ideas. This week, though, is the jumping off point, standing on the proverbial springboard, trying to remember how to swim as the feet leave the board.

And, of course, with all the newness and activity of this time of the year comes stress. Even when everything is going well, these times of transition are inherently stressful, so tonight I've set aside all my collections of new, unheard music, in favor of some 'old classics', which tonight means the Celtic Thunder albums. I started consciously pursuing new music in part because I felt a bit guilty about getting caught up in promoting the music of these lovely Irish men when I may never meet any of them properly, and there are so many local artists whose careers my efforts might actually benefit significantly. Considering that most of Celtic Thunder's attention is on the US East Coast and in the South, I'm not so sure most days whether anything I do here in Colorado could be of any significant help to any of them.

Still, the fact remains that whether I register on their radar, or have any significance whatsoever to them, the 'lads' of Celtic Thunder do still occupy a special place in my heart. As much as I enjoy writing posts that may actually be useful to great local bands, I still have to at least give a nod occasionally to the music and musicians because of whom I am actively blogging in the first place. I did, after all, start my tumblr because I liked the one Ryan Kelly and Neil Byrne set up for their Acoustic by Candlelight tour. And, I only started getting regular readers here after I archived my tumblr candle posts here, which only exist because Ryan gave himself a severe closed-head injury. Celtic Thunder is family, almost, at least distant cousins.

So, while I will be back to gushing about great local music soon enough, I have to at least whine about not living on the East Coast (Boston, New York, Baltimore), where this guy, Mr. Paul Byrom, will be singing several shows very soon. I could not afford to buy tickets anyway just yet, at least until I start making at least enough to buy groceries again, but if he were coming to Fort Collins instead, I'd like to think I would find enough tutoring/editing clients by then to go to one of his shows. (Heck, if his hair looks anything like it did in this picture, Paul even has just about the same haircut as me- surely a positive sign, if only he was coming here!)
Oh well. I can at least listen to his songs from the earlier Celtic Thunder albums, and listen to his solo album again, and maybe watch the youtube video of him in rehearsal singing "The Island", a Paul Brady song Keith sang/sings with Celtic Thunder. And, in a few weeks (but who's counting?) Keith Harkin's debut album comes out. Between that and the various youtube videos and promo media Celtic Thunder and its members post, I'm sure I'll find more to blog about as further excuses to mention them and see their lovely faces on my blog some more, even before they (George, Ryan, Neil, Keith, Emmet,and Colm, but NOT Paul, unfortunately) get to Denver in November.

(Sorry, for those readers who really would rather just see the local music posts- there will be plenty more of those too. I promise this won't turn into just another Celtic Thunder fanblog, even if that might artificially increase my humble blog's readership for a short while.) In the meantime, I have lots of meetings and 'things' again tomorrow, and must get some beauty sleep. Happy Listening, as always, and if you are going to be in town where Paul is singing, go see his show. I'll be very jealous.

No comments:

Post a Comment